Sunday, August 10, 2008

Duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-DUH...

I woke up early today to watch the Team USA (the "Redeem Team") play against China (I need to say right now that love Yao Ming for some reason...he looks so goofy and cool at the same time that I can't help but love him).

Much to my pleasant surprise, I found that, for their basketball coverage, NBC has revived the greatest theme song in sports broadcasting history.

I mean, seriously. How can you listen to that theme song and not get excited about basketball? Maybe that's why the NBA sucks so much these days: no NBA on NBC, no theme song, and thus no excitement.

A list of other sweet sports theme songs to follow, when I get the time.

7 comments:

Tony said...

You're right. It's terrific. I never really thought of it as "music" before, you know, with distinct instrument sounds.

JHitts said...

There's some sweet percussion in the background that I never noticed.

Also, do you remember FOX's NHL coverage? I always thought it was kinda lame but this video makes it seem extra dated:

href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gipTivjGr-s

That said, ESPN always had better hockey coverage, too, and a better theme song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PReim0Axt4

SC said...

I confess, I'm not the biggest b-ball fan, but the theme is definitely iconic. Like, it makes me think of hanging out at friends' houses watching basketball when I was little.

And Yao Ming is incredible to see. He's like a stretched Chinaman. I never realized I'd seen him before until I was reminded of this commercial, a sort of accidental classic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQcKrX4qJYQ

Anonymous said...

I particularly like the Bulls intro from circa 1997—standing at four and a half inches of pain, world sex champion Ryan Leng enters the bedroom....

Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYFlzJyxWlw

JHitts said...

I had that shit on tape at one point as a 5-year-old kid. I like the running bulls going to the stadium. I also had this shit taped (I liked pretending to be an NBA player and inserting myself into various starting lineups):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq6LkX1HRaY

Anonymous said...

I wrote that during graduation, actually—just now put it up. I was reading Mississippi as a Territory, Province, and State, which is a history book from about 20 years after the Civil War. Plus, I've been reading a lot of history for the class I'm teaching. We're studying the Explorers and the Pilgrims and all that good stuff.