Thursday, July 31, 2008

Showing my age

A distressing incident from this afternoon:

Me (walking into the room): So, the White Sox got Griffey today. Kind of scary...
12-year-old brother: Who?
Me (figuring he didn't hear me the first time): Ken Griffey, Junior.
Him: Who the hell is that?

Has it really come to this? Children not knowing who Ken Griffey, Jr. is until they see a picture of him and maybe recognize him as that one good player on the Reds? I don't know, but to me it's eerie: it was just about ten years ago (when I was his age...) that Griffey was the kind of guy that every kid had a poster of. Or at least a video game of. He was pretty much the guy, along with Sosa and McGwire. But now? Now kids under 15 have no idea who he is.

Maybe I'm naive. Ten years doesn't seem like that long ago, does it? I like to think of myself as a young person. But really, that's false. Young people have Ken Griffey Junior posters on their walls, ones that they took from Sports Illustrated for Kids.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In a bar over pizza and beer, I had this exact same conversation with by housemate, Brian, on the issue of Griff-ignorance. Ken Griffey, Jr. was THE shit, and he still looks like he's 26, though we don't still look like we're 12.

But yeah, what the fuck!

SC said...

Wasn't there a Sony game named for KGJ? If there was, I know for a fact I rocked shit out on that home-run derby...

JHitts said...

I know for a fact that it was on N64, but I'm not sure about Playstation.